To arrange a saddle fitting with Martyn please contact us by one of the following methods:
Telephone: 01444 454164 • Text: 07599 541374 • Email: email@example.com
Or via the ‘Book a saddle fitting’ form on the website
When making the booking we will ask:
- Details of the horse - size/ age/ breeding/ condition/ fitness level/ rough idea of width fitting is helpful/ what activities you are planning to do with him
- Details of the rider - height/ weight/ experience
- The type of saddle you are looking to purchase (if applicable) - style/new or second hand/ colour/ particular brand preference/ budget
- Your contact details - name/ mobile number/ email address/ address where your horse is stabled including postcode and directions if it is difficult to find
- Any problems previously encountered with fitting a saddle to this horse or yourself
We will confirm your booking via text a few days prior to your appointment. Sometimes we will allow a time window for Martyn's arrival as it is difficult to predict how long a previous call may take or traffic levels on the day.
On arrival Martyn would expect to see:
Your horse clean, in a stable or tied up on the yard with a bridle and boots (if worn) on and ready to be ridden.
Rider appropriately dressed, ready to ride.
He will then take time to take note of your horse's conformation and take a wither profile using a flexicurve for future reference. With your previous requests regarding saddle preferences in mind, he will proceed to try on saddles that he feels are appropriate to your requirements and make a short list of those suitable for a ridden trial.
At this point you will choose which saddles you would like to try. In an ideal world Martyn would like to see the horse ridden without a saddle cloth, but not all horses will tolerate this if they are not used to it.
The horse will be seen ridden in walk, trot and canter on a circle if the horse's level of training and facilities provided allow. If it is a jumping saddle that you are looking to purchase you should also expect to try out the saddle over some jumps.
Alternatively you may be wanting your existing saddle fitting checked, in which case you and your horse will be ready to ride as above with saddle ready to be put on once Martyn has examined the horse’s back and conformation. Again Martyn will see your horse ridden, adjust the flocking if required, then see the horse ridden again to re-check the fitting.
Saddles requiring a complete reflock or tree width change (other than those with an interchangeable gullet) will be brought back to the workshop for that work and then re-fitted to the horse at a later date.
We expect payment on the day, this can be either by cash, card or bank transfer if performed there and then.